Paula Jakszyn received her nutrition degree at Buenos Aires University, Argentina in 1999. In 2002, she joined the Unit of Nutrition, Environment and Cancer (UNEC) at the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO) to work on the EPIC study (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition Study). While working at ICO, she obtained a Master of Public Health and a PhD from the University Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona. Since then, she has continued to work at UNEC leading the research line on the effect of red meat, iron and nitrosamines and the risk of different types of cancer at European Level. She also participates in the dietary assessment working group of EPIC. Other research areas of interest are: Inflammatory potential of diet, obesity and inflammation.
- Fonseca-Nunes A, Agudo A, Aranda N, Arija V, Cross AJ, Jakszyn P. Body iron status and gastric cancer risk in the EURGAST study. Int J Cancer. 2015 Jul 1. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29669. [accepted manuscript)
- Jakszyn P, Agudo A, Lujan-Barroso L, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Jenab M et al. Dietary intake of heme iron and risk of gastric cancer in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition(EURGAST- EPIC) study. nt J Cancer. 2011 Jun 29. doi: 10.1002/ijc.26263.
- Loh YH, Jakszyn P, Luben RN, Mulligan AA, Mitrou PN, Khaw KT. N-nitroso compounds and cancer incidence: the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-Norfolk Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011May;93(5):1053-61.
- Jakszyn P, González CA, Luján-Barroso L, Ros MM, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB et al. Red meat, dietary nitrosamines, and heme iron and risk of bladder cancer in the EuropeanProspective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011 Mar;20(3):555-9.
- Fonseca-Nunes A, Jakszyn P, Agudo A. Iron and cancer risk–a systematic review and meta-analysis of the epidemiological evidence. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Jan;23(1):12-31. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-13-0733. Epub 2013 Nov 15.Review.
- Jakszyn P, Luján-Barroso L, Agudo A, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Molina E,. Meat and heme iron intake and esophageal adenocarcinoma in theEuropean Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study. Int J Cancer.2013 Dec 1;133(11):2744-50.
- Jakszyn P, Agudo A, Berenguer A, Ibáñez R, Amiano P, Pera G, Ardanaz E, Barricarte A, Chirlaque MD, Dorronsoro M, Larrañaga N, Martinez C, Navarro C, Quirós JR, Sanchéz MJ, Tormo MJ, González CA. Intake and food sources of nitrites and N-nitrosodimethylamine in Spain. Public Health Nutr. 2006 Sep;9(6):785-91.
- Jakszyn P, Gonzalez CA. Nitrosamine and related food intake and gastric and oesophageal cancer risk: a systematic review of the epidemiological evidence. World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Jul 21;12(27):4296-303.
- Jakszyn P, Bingham S, Pera G, Agudo A, Luben R, et al. Endogenous versus exogenous exposure to N-nitroso compounds and gastric cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST) study. Carcinogenesis. 2006 Jul;27(7):1497-501.
- González CA, Jakszyn P, Pera G, Agudo A, Bingham S, et al.Meat intake and risk of stomach and esophageal adenocarcinoma within the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Mar 1;98(5):345-54.
- Jakszyn P, Agudo A, Ibáñez R, García-Closas R, Pera G, Amiano P, González CA. Development of a food database of nitrosamines, heterocyclic amines, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. J Nutr. 2004 Aug;134(8):2011-4.