Raquel Ibáñez holds a biology degree from Oviedo University (Asturias, Spain, 2000) and a PhD from the same University in 2015. She developed her thesis project on the evaluation of HPV testing in the cervical cancer screening in Catalonia.
n 2000, Raquel started her research in nutrition and cancer. Initially, her work focused on an elder population; however, she was awarded a scholarship to work with the EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition)-Spain cohort, studying diet carcinogens and genetic susceptibility.
Since 2006, Raquel has focused on cervical cancer screening activities in Catalonia. She has participated in the implementation of the current screening protocol, its evaluation and the development of the forthcoming 2017 recommendation guidelines of cervical cancer screening within the public health system in Catalonia.
Other research interests include: the use of new tests in primary cervical cancer screening, triage options for HPV-positive women, the screening history of cervical cancer cases and the improvement of quality controls (i.e. inter-laboratory reproducibility) of screening tests. She is also interested in improving cervical cancer knowledge among the general population through the development of educational material and among health professionals by means of an online course.
- Ibáñez R, Alejo M, Combalia N, Tarroch X, Autonell J, Codina L, Culubret M, Bosch F.X, de Sanjosé S. Underscreend women remain overrepresented in the pool of cervical cancer cases in Spain. Need to rethink the screening interventions. . BioMed Research International. 2015; vol. 2015. Article ID 605375, 9 pages.
- de Sanjosé S, Ibáñez R, Rodríguez-Salés V, Peris M, Roura E, Diaz M, Torné A, Costa D, Canet Y, Falguera G, Alejo M, Espinàs JA, Bosch F.X. Screening of cervical cancer in Catalonia 2006–2012. Ecancer. 2015. 9:532.
- Ibáñez R, Autonell J, Sardà M, Crespo N, Pique P, Pascual A, Martí C, Fibla M, Gutiérrez C, Lloveras B, Moreno-Crespi J, Torrent A, Baixeras N, Alejo M, Bosch FX, de Sanjosé S. Protecting the underscreened women in developed countries: the value of HPV test. BMC Cancer. 2014. 14:574.
- Ibáñez R, Félez-Sánchez M, Godínez JM, Guardià C, Caballero E, Juve R, Combalia N, Bellosillo B, Cuevas D, Moreno-Crespi J, Pons L, Autonell J, Gutierrez C, Ordi J, de Sanjosé S, Bravo IG. Interlaboratory reproducibility and proficiency testing within the human papillomavirus cervical cancer screening program in Catalonia, Spain. J Clin Microbiol. 2014. 52(5):1511-8.
- Rodríguez-Salés V, Roura E, Ibáñez R, Peris M, Bosch FX, Coma E, Silvia de Sanjosé.[Coverage of cervical cancer screening in Catalonia, Spain (2008-2011)]. Gac Sanit. 2014. 28(1):7-13. [Article in Spanish].
- Rodríguez-Salés V, Roura E, Ibañez R, Peris M, Bosch FX, de Sanjosé S. Coverage of Cervical Cancer Screening in Catalonia for the Period 2008-2011 among Immigrants and Spanish-Born Women.Front Oncol. 2013. 20;3:297
- Ibanez R, Moreno-Crespi J, Sarda M, Autonell J, Fibla M, Gutierrez C, Lloveras B, Alejo M, Catala I, Alameda F, Casas M, Bosch FX, de Sanjose S. Prediction of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 2+ (CIN2+) using HPV DNA testing after a diagnosis of atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASC-US) in Catalonia, Spain. BMC Infect Dis. 2012. 12(1):25.
- De Sanjosé, S., Ibáñez, R., Ferrer, E. Cervical cancer screening in Spain within the Description of the national situation of cervical cancer screening in the member states of the European Union. Anttila A., Ronco G.; Working Group on the Registration and Monitoring of Cervical Cancer Screening Programmes in the European Union; within the European Network for Information on Cancer (EUNICE). European Journal of Cancer. 2009. 45(15):2685-708.